50th Anniversary Celebration Honoring Rev. Dan Higgins

50th Anniversary Celebration Honoring Rev. Dan Higgins


  • In 1957, a small group of religious liberals began meeting to discuss the formation of a Unitarian congregation in Salisbury, Maryland.
  • On March 30, 1958, the Salisbury Unitarian Fellowship was officially formed. It began with sixteen members.

Major developments

  • In 1959, the Fellowship purchased the building on Snow Hill Road that they had previously been renting.
  • In 1961, the American Unitarian Association and the Universalist Church of America merged to form the Unitarian Universalist Association.
  • Rev. Daniel Higgins, who had transitioned from Methodism to Unitarianism in the 1960s and taken a ministerial position in Massachusetts, returned to Salisbury in 1987 and became re-associated with our Fellowship. He would lead many services and provide invaluable guidance over the next twenty years.
  • During the 1990s, membership grew from about 30 to 50 and the organization became a little more formally organized. The Fellowship hired an administrative assistant and developed job descriptions for officers and committees. Instead of having informal discussions when ministers weren’t speaking, we adopted an order of service with guest speakers and hymn singing.
  • In 1997, the Fellowship purchased its present building on Old Ocean City Road.
  • In 2009, the Fellowship hired John Wright as consulting minister.